Sunday 1 July 2012

Sweetie Pie

I know what addiction is. Many years ago it used to be cigarettes. Now the monster has had an identity change and returned as sugar.

You may say, there is nothing wrong with sugar craving, nothing wrong with an odd treat. Now, what is right, dealing with fatigue by going for a walk or eating a candy to pick me up? Celebrating summer by feeling the sun on my skin & walking barefoot or by having a huge ice cream? Looking closely into nasty gnawing feelings or eating a whole pack of profiteroles?

Looking at my sugar consumption to my shock I realized I was a puppet, a sugar puppet. I had no say in whether or not I will have a dessert; the desert would have me. Like a cigarette, a sweetie was an answer to everything.

Out for my evening walk and a monstrous sugar craving is walking with me. Gritting my teeth, I march past Sainsbury's and ignore ice cream's siren call. By the time I get to M&S my resolve fails, but luckily they don't have ice cream. "It's a sign, I'll get a pack of dried fruit instead. Wait, dried fruit is no longer just dried fruit, it's loaded with extra sugar." Back on the shelf.

Really pissed off I decide it's impossible to avoid sugar today. Marching towards Waitrose to get that bloody ice cream, I'm fooling myself that I'll eat it mindfully.

Hey, the juice bar is open!
"Make me a nice juice", I plead. The juicers are shut, but I can get a drink from the display. 
"Sugar free please", I fight to the last. We have inspected two drinks marketed as healthy, but they have added sugar. Coconut water is the last chance, yes, it's sugar free! "Take it, try it," the man just gives it away to me.

I walk away smiling widely. That moment felt like the universe has stepped in to take care of me, so swiftly and generously. The craving subsided after having some coconut water and I even enjoyed my walk. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment